Following up on a meeting with the Sports Union President and some members of the Executive on Thursday, here are some points that I would take forward as Rector:
- Supporting the roll out of the ‘Boost Your Mood‘ initiative across campuses, and within student accommodation. This is such a practical and popular way of investing in good mental health which would break down barriers to sporting activities. It can only improve student experience.
- As part of Widening Participation initiatives, include gym membership in the annual bursary award for students.
- Bring the University, the City Council, students, and community groups, together to invest in better lighting and CCTV on the walking and cycle routes to and from our sporting and academic facilities, including crossing the Meadows in Edinburgh, and Easter Bush. Joint approaches could be made to other large academic institutions too.
- Bus link services with Peffermill to be improved, learning from the trial which is about to commence.
- Make more visible the great work going on with Edinburgh’s local communities. Improve publicity for our intra-mural games, in various sports, so that more people, university, public and families can attend.
I look forward to working with the Sports Union and all the member Clubs to take all these and emerging points forward in the coming years.